Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Do you have weakness or paralysis of the muscles in your face?
- Can you still raise your eyebrows?
- Can you close your eyelids?
- Have you had ear pain? If so, on which side?
- Are your eyes watery?
- Have you noticed any change in your sense of taste?
- Have you had problems hearing?
- Have you had problems chewing?
- Over what period of time did your symptoms develop?
- Have you had a recent upper respiratory tract infection (for example, a cold)?
- Have you had a recent immunization?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Neurological exam focusing on the strength of the facial muscles
- Examination of the ears, nose, and throat
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Hearing test (if you report difficulty hearing)
- Computed tomography of the head (if your history and exam are concerning for a stroke or tumor)