Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Do you have a family history of colonic polyps?
- Do you have bleeding from the rectum or bloody stools?
- Do you frequently have rectal pain or the sensation of needing to have a bowel movement?
- Do you have anemia (low blood count)?
- Do you have a family history of colon cancer?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Careful abdominal exam
- Rectal exam
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Stool testing for blood
- Complete blood count
- Sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy, possibly with a biopsy or removal of a polyp (if one is found)
- Barium enema