Lumps or Pain Within the Scrotum

The scrotum is the pouch below the penis that holds the testicles. Problems affecting the testicles and scrotum can be alarming at first. The good news is that most often the condition is not a serious one. To be certain, a man should contact his doctor if he discovers a new lump or has persistent pain within the scrotum.

This guide will provide you with the more common reasons for your symptoms with suggested actions based on your responses to a short series of questions. The information in the guide is not intended to replace a face-to-face evaluation with a health care provider.

Click here to begin.

Let's start by focusing on the nature of your problem. It's most helpful to know if you are concerned about a lump (painful or not painful), or pain without any lump or swelling.

Do you have a lump (whether painful or not), or, do you have pain without a lump?

I have a lump.

I have pain, but no lump.

The next step is to figure out where the pain is coming from. Pain that is coming from the testicle may require more urgent attention from your doctor than pain in other parts of the scrotum or groin.

Is your pain coming from the testicle itself or from another part of the scrotum or groin?

Yes, the pain is coming from the testicle.

No, the pain is not coming from the testicle.

I'm not sure where the pain is coming from.

To continue reading this article, you must login.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise
Learn more about the many benefits and features of joining Harvard Health Online »