How should I treat canker sores?

Ask the doctor

Published: April, 2017

Q. I suffer from recurrent canker sores. What is the best way to treat and prevent these mouth ulcers?

A. Canker sores, also known as aphthous ulcers, are small ulcers that appear on the inside of your cheeks and lips and sometimes on or under your tongue. They should not be confused with cold sores (fever blisters), which are due to a herpes simplex virus.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise
Learn more about the many benefits and features of joining Harvard Health Online »