Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Do you have a family history of colonic polyps?
- Do you have bleeding from the rectum or bloody stools?
- Do you frequently have rectal pain or the sensation of needing to have a bowel movement?
- Do you have anemia (low blood count)?
- Do you have a family history of colon cancer?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Abdominal exam
- Rectal exam
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Stool testing for blood
- Complete blood count
- Sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy, possibly with a biopsy or removal of a polyp (if one is found)
As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of last review or update on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.