On call: What is best for occasional heartburn?

Image: Thinkstock

Published: February, 2014

Q. I have heartburn a few times a month. My doctor suggested I use a generic H2 blocker like famotidine or ranitidine. Is this better than an antacid?

A. Occasional heartburn can certainly be treated with either an H2 blocker—as your doctor suggests—or an antacid. The other H2 blockers available besides famotidine (Pepcid) and ranitidine (Zantac) are cimetidine (Tagamet) and nizatidine (Axid).

To continue reading this article, you must log in.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise

New subscriptions to Harvard Health Online are temporarily unavailable. Click the button below to learn about our other subscription offers.

Learn More »