Ask the doctor: Why would I need Prolia?

Ask the doctor

Published: February, 2017

Q. I'm in my 70s. Over the past 20 years I've broken several bones, including a hip. I've taken alendronate but continue to lose bone density. My doctor wants to give me Prolia . What is it?

A. Prolia is a brand name of denosumab, a monoclonal antibody that binds to receptors on osteoclasts (cells that break down bone in the rebuilding process) to keep them from developing properly. As a result, bone breakdown slows, increasing bone density.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise
Learn more about the many benefits and features of joining Harvard Health Online »