Recent Blog Articles

How should I treat canker sores?

Updated: April 01, 2017

Ask the doctor

Q. I suffer from recurrent canker sores. What is the best way to treat and prevent these mouth ulcers?

A. Canker sores, also known as aphthous ulcers, are small ulcers that appear on the inside of your cheeks and lips and sometimes on or under your tongue. They should not be confused with cold sores (fever blisters), which are due to a herpes simplex virus.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.

Subscribe to Harvard Health Online for immediate access to health news and information from Harvard Medical School.

  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise
Learn more about the many benefits and features of joining Harvard Health Online »

I'd like to receive access to Harvard Health Online for only $4.99 a month.

Sign Me Up

Already a member? Login ».


As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of last review or update on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.