Skip to content
When You Visit Your Doctor - Rash
Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- How long have you had the rash?
- Where did it start?
- Has it spread?
- Is the rash only on parts of your skin that have been exposed to the sun?
- Does it itch or hurt?
- Is the rash red, pink, or purple?
- Is the rash smooth or bumpy?
- Have you had sores in your mouth, eyes, or other mucous membranes?
- Have you had blisters on your skin?
- Have you had trouble breathing?
- Have you had a fever?
- Have you symptoms of an upper respiratory tract infection (for example, a cold)?
- Have you had vomiting or diarrhea?
- Are you taking any prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, herbs, or supplements? Did you start any of them in the past two months?
- Have you had any new exposures to foods or chemicals?
- Any exposure to insects?
- Have you had any recent sun exposure?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Examination of your skin, mouth, eyes, mucous membranes, lymph nodes, liver, and spleen
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Skin scrapings for microscopic analysis or culture (if the rash looks infectious)
- Complete blood cell count or other blood tests (if you appear sick or have a fever)
- Skin biopsy