Skip to content
The Family Health Guide
When You Visit Your Doctor - Vaginitis
Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- How long have you had this vaginal discomfort?
- Does it itch or burn?
- Do you have vaginal discharge? Does it have a bad odor? What is the consistency?
- Are you pregnant?
- Are you sexually active?
- Is sexual intercourse painful?
- Do you have pain or burning with urination?
- Are you urinating more frequently?
- Do you have urinary incontinence?
- Are you post-menopausal?
- Do you have vaginal dryness?
- Do you have diabetes?
- Have you recently taken antibiotics or corticosteroids?
- Is your immune system suppressed in any way?
- Do you take birth-control pills?
- Do you wear tight pants or synthetic fabrics (nylon)? (These are all predisposing factors for yeast infections).
- Have you or your partner ever had a sexually transmitted disease?
- Do you have fevers, chills, abdominal pain, joint pain, or a rash?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Abdominal examination
- Pelvic examination
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Sample of the vaginal discharge to examine under a microscope (wet smear)
- Cultures of the vaginal discharge