Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Do you have rumbling abdominal sounds after eating milk products?
- Do you get abdominal cramps, bloating, or diarrhea after eating milk products?
- Can you tolerate small amounts of milk?
- Do your symptoms improve when you eliminate milk products from your diet?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Careful abdominal exam
- Rectal exam
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Trial of elimination of milk products from the diet
- Hydrogen breath test
- Lactose tolerance test
As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of last review on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.