Recent Blog Articles

Ask the doctor: Is this pain from my heart?

Updated: February 01, 2008

Ask the doctor

Is this pain from my heart?

Q. Every now and then I get a sudden, sharp pain on the left side of my chest. It feels like a penknife sticking into me. I get a little dizzy, and then it disappears as quickly as it came on. I have mentioned this to my internist and cardiologist. Even though the results of an electrocardiogram and thallium stress test were fine, it still scares me. Should I be more concerned about this?

A. Different descriptions of chest pain can alert doctors to serious problems. When a narrowed coronary artery restricts blood flow to the heart muscle, people often feel a dull, aching pressure across the chest or in the neck that lasts for minutes. This is what doctors call "typical angina." A heart attack may cause intense chest pain or what feels like severe indigestion that can last for hours. A pulmonary embolism (a blood clot in the lungs) often makes itself known as chest pain that becomes worse with a deep breath. An infection of the pericardium, the outer lining of the heart, can cause chest pain that is made worse by lying down or sitting up.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.

Subscribe to Harvard Health Online for immediate access to health news and information from Harvard Medical School.

  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise
Learn more about the many benefits and features of joining Harvard Health Online »

I'd like to receive access to Harvard Health Online for only $4.99 a month.

Sign Me Up

Already a member? Login ».


As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of last review or update on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.