Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Do you have abdominal pain or cramping?
- Do you have diarrhea, fevers, fatigue, rectal pain, or bloody stools?
- Have you recently lost weight?
- Is there a family history of inflammatory bowel disease?
- How many times a year do you get pain flare-ups?
- Do you have episodes of joint pain or swelling?
- Are you taking any medications?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Temperature, blood pressure, heart rate
- Careful abdominal exam
- Rectal exam
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy
- Stool sample to look for the presence of blood, white blood cells, and to culture
- Complete blood count and other blood tests
- CT scan or MRI of the abdomen
As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of last review on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.