Skip to content
When You Visit Your Doctor Acne
Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- At what age did your problem with acne begin?
- Do you have blackheads, whiteheads, pustules, or cysts?
- If so, what areas are involved: your face, chest, back?
- What is your skin-care routine?
- What products do you use? Do any of them help?
- What medications have you tried (e.g., benzoyl peroxide, Retin-A, antibiotics, Accutane)?
- If you are female, does your acne get worse around the time of your menstrual period and do you have regular menstrual periods?
- What medicines do you take, including over-the-counter medicines and birth-control pills?
- Have you been developing extra body or facial hair?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Blood tests (liver function tests, cholesterol, or if you are female, perhaps a pregnancy test if you are taking the medicine Accutane)