Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Are you particularly stressed at work or at home?
- Are you depressed or anxious?
- Do you have any underlying medical problems such as hyperthyroidism or sleep apnea?
- Do you have chronic pain or difficulty breathing at night?
- Do you have restlessness or twitching of your legs at night?
- Do you drink caffeine-containing beverages after noon (such as coffee or sodas)?
- Do you use stimulants? Drink alcohol? Take sedatives? Smoke cigarettes?
- Do you take any medications?
- What time do you usually go to bed?
- What time do you get up in the morning?
- Do you eat or work before going to bed?
- Have you noticed changes in your sleep patterns?
- Do you wake frequently at night?
- Do you feel tired during the day?
- How long do you stay in bed before you fall asleep?
- Do you have worries about not sleeping?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Heart rate, temperature
- General physical exam
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Complete blood cell count
- Thyroid function
- Sleep study with monitoring of heart rate, respiratory rate, oxygen level, eye movements, and brain waves