By the way, doctor: What type of doctor should we see after having strokes?

Published: March, 2014

Q. My wife and I both recently suffered mild strokes. Although we are both recovering, we'd like to consult a physician who specializes in the treatment and prevention of strokes. What medical specialty is devoted to this?

A. Strokes are caused by a sudden impairment of the brain's blood supply. The symptoms may include loss of strength or sensations on one side of the body, difficulty understanding speech or speaking, impaired vision, and loss of consciousness. Fortunately, the symptoms often are mild and get better, as in your and your wife's cases. They may even completely resolve over time. And strokes can often be prevented by medications and lifestyle changes.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise

New subscriptions to Harvard Health Online are temporarily unavailable. Click the button below to learn about our other subscription offers.

Learn More »