Skip to content
When You Visit Your Doctor - Macular Degeneration
Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Have you noticed a change in vision in one eye or both?
- Do you have trouble reading, even with reading glasses?
- Do you have difficulty seeing fine details?
- Do you see a gray patch in the middle of the words when you read?
- Do straight vertical lines appear "wiggly" when you look at them?
- Is your side or peripheral vision affected?
- Do you have diabetes?
- Do you smoke?
- Do you have a family history of macular degeneration?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- The inside of your eye, using an ophthalmoscope (see p. 417)
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Referral to an ophthalmologist (eye specialist) who will do a complete eye exam with drops to dilate your pupils.