Skip to content
When You Visit Your Doctor - Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Do you have pain or cramping in the lower stomach?
- How often do you get the pain?
- Is the pain related to meals?
- Do you suffer from constipation and small bowel movements?
- Do you have diarrhea that alternates with constipation?
- Do you have frequent bloating and gas?
- Do you have a feeling of fullness in the rectum?
- Is there a family history of inflammatory bowel disease?
- Do you have a history of mental illness or depression?
- Are there any things causing unusual stress in your life?
- Please describe your diet in detail.
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Careful abdominal exam
- Rectal exam
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Stool testing for blood and cultures
- Conventional abdominal X-rays
- Endoscopy or sigmoidoscopy
- Barium enema
- Complete blood count and other blood tests