Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Do you have pain in the lower abdomen or groin area?
- Have you noticed a bulge in your lower abdomen or groin area?
- Does lifting heavy objects, coughing, sneezing, or straining increase the size of the bulge?
- Can you push the bulge back in?
- Do you suffer from constipation?
- Have you had bloody stools?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Careful abdominal exam
- Groin exam (including testicular and scrotal exam in men)
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Stool sample
- Abdominal/Pelvic ultrasound
- Abdominal/Pelvic CT scan
As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of last review on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.