Harvard Health Letter

Are you losing your sense of smell?

Smell loss that lasts longer than a few weeks should be evaluated by a doctor. This can be done with a simple smell test, with a patient sniffing various scents. A more thorough evaluation includes a detailed medical history (duration, rapidity of onset, history of trauma, other associated sinus or nasal symptoms, and neurologic symptoms) and a thorough head and neck exam, including an office nasal endoscopy (fiberoptic scope) under local anesthesia. Your doctor may also order a CT scan of your sinuses or a brain MRI. 
To continue reading this article, you must login.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise
Learn more about the many benefits and features of joining Harvard Health Online »