Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Do you have a tremor of the hands at rest?
- Have you noticed a slowing of your movements?
- Do you have a stooped posture or a slow, shuffling gait?
- Are you becoming more unsteady?
- Are your muscles becoming more rigid?
- Have you noticed your handwriting is getting smaller?
- Do you have any problems with speech?
- Are you depressed?
- Do you have problems with memory, concentration, or problem-solving?
- Are you having any visual changes?
- Do you have hot flashes?
- Do you have a family history of Parkinsons Disease?
- Do you live in a rural area?
- Are you taking any medications?
- Do you have a history of any toxic exposures?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Complete neurological exam focusing on gait, muscle tone, strength, and vision
- Mini Mental Status Exam (to test memory and concentration)
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- SPECT (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography)
- Response to treatment with levodopa