Recent Blog Articles

Ask the doctor: Can I take a diuretic?

Updated: January 01, 2008

Ask the doctor

Can I take a diuretic?

Q. Over the past few years, I have needed to take hydrochlorothiazide and Lasix together. After I was hospitalized for a serious electrolyte imbalance, my doctors told me never to take these medications again. I recently had my aortic valve replaced, and am now retaining some water. Are there any diuretics I can safely take for this?

A. Hydrochlorothiazide and Lasix (the brand name for furosemide) are both "water pills," medicines that increase the production of urine. Water pills are helpful for high blood pressure, heart failure, kidney failure, or any situation where water builds up in the body. Although there are many kinds of water pills, hydrochlorothiazide and furosemide are two of the most commonly used. They act on the kidneys, which have the important job of filtering your entire blood fluid about 60 times per day.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.

Subscribe to Harvard Health Online for immediate access to health news and information from Harvard Medical School.

  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise
Learn more about the many benefits and features of joining Harvard Health Online »

I'd like to receive access to Harvard Health Online for only $4.99 a month.

Sign Me Up

Already a member? Login ».


As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of last review or update on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.