By the way, doctor: What can be done about inadequate cells on a Pap test?

Published: August, 2006

Q. I'm 48 years old, and 26 years ago I had a cone biopsy after an abnormal Pap test. Since then, all my Pap tests have been normal. But for the past three years, scar tissue has made it difficult for my gynecologist to get adequate cells. What do I do about Pap smears now?

A. A Pap test report of "inadequate cells" can mean either there aren't enough cells to interpret the Pap, or endocervical cells are missing. If it's insufficient cells, you can simply repeat the test in a few months. If it's lack of endocervical cells, your clinician may take extra steps to get an adequate sample.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise

New subscriptions to Harvard Health Online are temporarily unavailable. Click the button below to learn about our other subscription offers.

Learn More »