Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- What medications do you take (including over-the-counter drugs and herbal remedies)?
- Have you been ill recently?
- What other medical problems do you have?
- Could you be pregnant?
- Have you ever been tested for HIV?
- Have you had fever?
- Have you had rashes?
- Have you had diarrhea?
- Have you had abdominal pain?
- Have you had headache?
- Have you had neurologic symptoms?
- Have you been lightheaded?
- Have you been short of breath with minimal exertion?
- Have you had chest pain or pressure?
- Have you had a cough?
- Do you have any bruises or nosebleeds?
- Do your gums bleed when you brush your teeth?
- If you are a woman, have you had unusually heavy menstrual periods?
- How long have you had symptoms?
- Does anyone else in your family have low platelets?
- How many alcoholic beverages do you drink in an average week?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Blood tests, which might include complete blood count with microscopic evaluation, kidney function tests, liver function tests, antinuclear antibody, an HIV test
- Bone marrow biopsy
As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of last review on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.