Skip to content
When You Visit Your Doctor - Thrombocytopenia
Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- What medications do you take (including over-the-counter drugs and herbal remedies)?
- Have you been ill recently?
- What other medical problems do you have?
- Could you be pregnant?
- Have you ever been tested for HIV?
- Have you had fever?
- Have you had rashes?
- Have you had diarrhea?
- Have you had abdominal pain?
- Have you had headache?
- Have you had neurologic symptoms?
- Have you been lightheaded?
- Have you been short of breath with minimal exertion?
- Have you had chest pain or pressure?
- Have you had a cough?
- Do you have any bruises or nosebleeds?
- Do your gums bleed when you brush your teeth?
- If you are a woman, have you had unusually heavy menstrual periods?
- How long have you had symptoms?
- Does anyone else in your family have low platelets?
- How many alcoholic beverages do you drink in an average week?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Blood tests, which might include complete blood count with microscopic evaluation, kidney function tests, liver function tests, antinuclear antibody, an HIV test
- Bone marrow biopsy