Recent Blog Articles

Harvard Health Blog

Do I need orthotics? What kind?

October 29, 2018

About the Author

photo of James P. Ioli, DPM

James P. Ioli, DPM, Contributor

James P.  Ioli, DPM, is Chief of Podiatry at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts. He is an Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School and has been a practicing podiatrist for … See Full Bio
View all posts by James P. Ioli, DPM


As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of last review or update on all articles.

No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.


December 25, 2018

I had painful heel problems for over a year, that I thought I had to endure. However, I was told to check out the OTC orthotics. I did and after a few samples I found one that illuminates the pain, completely.

Jeff Aden
December 19, 2018

My 61 year old wife has fibroma’s in the arch of both feet. The fibroma’s have been growing over the past couple of years and are becoming more painful and impacting how active she can be. She wears orthotics and has had cortisone injections which improve the pain but only last a couple of days. She has discussed surgery to remove the fibroma’s with her doctor but is discouraged that it is a painful procedure and the fibroma’s will grow back. Any suggestions?

John Caracciolo
November 5, 2018

Dear Dr Loli,

I’ve had several lumbar spinal surgeries and a full left hip replacement. As a result of all this, my left leg is about two inches shorter than my right leg. I walk with a pronounced limp. It seems to me that my current back pain is caused by one leg being shorter than the other. Would an orthotic device in my left shoe(s) help correct this?

Thank you

November 5, 2018

I am a 39 year old female and custom orthotics really helped my plantar fascitis 4 years ago. Since bunions run in my family i thought it wise to take in my boys aged 6 and 11 to see a podiatrist and got them custom orthotics as well.

I want to know if starting orthotics at younger ages will infact prevent future conditions?
Or is this age too early if the foot is still changing?

November 1, 2018

Hey , James P. Ioli, DPM , i have jumped from the swimming pool and badly injured my foot , but within one month i recover but in x-ray there was nothing wrong , but now some times i feel pain a, what to do ?

November 5, 2018

Sound like a type of phantom pain. Ask your family doctor to refer you for mindfulness or similar training or meditation. Most likely the pain is being remebered by your brain and needs shifting to free you from it.

November 5, 2018

You would benefit from a thorough assessment of your leg including pelvis hip knee ankle and foot. I would suggest seeing a Physical Therapist. They can assess any soft tissue restrictions, mal alignment, flexibility and strength while addressing your pain.

Commenting has been closed for this post.

You might also be interested in…

Healthy Feet: Preventing and treating common foot problems

Do your arches ache or your heels hurt? Got gout or battling bursitis? If so, you are among the three out of four Americans who will suffer some kind of foot ailment in their lifetime. This Special Health Report, Healthy Feet: Preventing and treating common foot problems, covers the most common foot problems and helps you prevent and treat them.

Read More

Free Healthbeat Signup

Get the latest in health news delivered to your inbox!

Harvard Health Publishing Logo

Thanks for visiting. Don't miss your FREE gift.

The Best Diets for Cognitive Fitness, is yours absolutely FREE when you sign up to receive Health Alerts from Harvard Medical School

Sign up to get tips for living a healthy lifestyle, with ways to fight inflammation and improve cognitive health, plus the latest advances in preventative medicine, diet and exercise, pain relief, blood pressure and cholesterol management, and more.

Harvard Health Publishing Logo

Health Alerts from Harvard Medical School

Get helpful tips and guidance for everything from fighting inflammation to finding the best diets for weight loss...from exercises to build a stronger core to advice on treating cataracts. PLUS, the latest news on medical advances and breakthroughs from Harvard Medical School experts.

BONUS! Sign up now and
get a FREE copy of the
Best Diets for Cognitive Fitness

Harvard Health Publishing Logo

Stay on top of latest health news from Harvard Medical School.

Plus, get a FREE copy of the Best Diets for Cognitive Fitness.