Reporting drug, device problems to the FDA

Published: November, 2010

If you have had a problem taking a medication, or a medical device has caused you harm, tell the FDA about it. The more information the FDA has about so-called adverse reactions the better. This information can be used to make new drugs and devices safer, and to caution other folks about using certain drugs or devices.

MedWatch is a vehicle for reporting serious adverse events arising from the use of an FDA-regulated drug, a biologic product (something made from human cells or tissues, and cellular and tissue-based products), a medical device (pacemaker, etc.), or a special nutritional product or cosmetics. You can submit a MedWatch form online, or call (toll free) 800-332-1088.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise

New subscriptions to Harvard Health Online are temporarily unavailable. Click the button below to learn about our other subscription offers.

Learn More »