Recent Blog Articles

Let's talk to an expert

September 01, 2008

Dr. I-Min Lee is an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and an expert on the epidemiology of physical activity and health. Dr. Lee served on the federal government's Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee, the 13-member group that examined the scientific evidence that lay the groundwork for new government physical activity guidelines due out in October 2008.

How much exercise should we be getting?

Well, that was a primary focus of the committee — reviewing what scientific studies tell us about the amount of physical activity we should get. In general, we agreed that the available evidence supports previous recommendations from various expert groups: get at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity, like brisk walking, at least five days of the week, or 20 minutes of vigorous activity, like jogging, at least three. Or get a combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activities that satisfies the minimum of either regimen. This level of activity has been shown in many studies to delay mortality, decrease the risk of many chronic diseases, and improve overall health.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.

Subscribe to Harvard Health Online for immediate access to health news and information from Harvard Medical School.

  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise
Learn more about the many benefits and features of joining Harvard Health Online »

I'd like to receive access to Harvard Health Online for only $4.99 a month.

Sign Me Up

Already a member? Login ».


As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of last review or update on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.