By the way, doctor: What can be done for sudden hearing loss in one ear?

Published: April, 2007

Q. My 47-year-old son suddenly lost hearing in one ear. They did some blood tests and he was given steroids and a medication called Valtrex. Now they are saying nothing can be done. Can you please address this issue?

A. There are two basic types of hearing loss, conductive and sensorineural. Conductive hearing loss occurs when something keeps sound waves from traveling through the ear — a bit of soundproofing right where you don't want it! The obstacle can be anything from a chunk of earwax to inflamed tissue to a benign growth.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise

New subscriptions to Harvard Health Online are temporarily unavailable. Click the button below to learn about our other subscription offers.

Learn More »