By the way, doctor: Should I switch calcium supplements?

Published: April, 2006

Q. A recent test showed I have some hip osteopenia. Now every day I take two Tums Ultra (800 mg of calcium) plus a multivitamin (200 mg of calcium). I also get a total of 800 International Units (IU) of vitamin D daily. I've been advised that Tums aren't sufficient. Do I need to switch to a more expensive calcium supplement?

A. If you're older than 50, as of 2006 the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for calcium is 1,200 mg. So even with the Tums and the multivitamin, you're still 200 mg short of the RDA. Calcium-rich foods such as fortified cereals and orange juice, tofu, or yogurt can help you bridge the gap.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise

New subscriptions to Harvard Health Online are temporarily unavailable. Click the button below to learn about our other subscription offers.

Learn More »