By the way, doctor: Should I get the prostate cancer test I've heard about?

Published: August, 2007

Q. I heard about a new test for prostate cancer that's better than the PSA test. Should I get this test?

A. You're probably talking about the EPCA-2 test. EPCA stands for early prostate cancer antigen. Johns Hopkins researchers have identified EPCA-2 as one of the proteins present in the nucleus of prostate cancer cells when they turn cancerous. Small amounts leak into the bloodstream, so EPCA-2 can be measured with a relatively simple blood test.

To continue reading this article, you must log in.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise

New subscriptions to Harvard Health Online are temporarily unavailable. Click the button below to learn about our other subscription offers.

Learn More »