Ask the doctor: How should I treat hyperthyroidism?

Q. I have hyperthyroidism and my doctor wants me to undergo radioactive iodine treatment. It seems a bit scary. Must I do it?

A. Depending on the cause of your overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), radioactive iodine treatment may be a good option for you, but you have other choices.

To continue reading this article, you must login.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise
Learn more about the many benefits and features of joining Harvard Health Online »