Burning in the house: Carbon monoxide poisoning

An inexpensive alarm will give you some warning — and could save your life.

A 36-year-old Albanian singer who moved to New York City with her mother and 7-year-old daughter. A 41-year-old man renovating the building adjacent to his western Pennsylvania home. A married couple in their mid-60s living in Washington State. A 7-year-old girl from Plymouth, Mass.

What do they have in common? All died in their homes in the fall and winter of 2004 from accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

To continue reading this article, you must login.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise
Learn more about the many benefits and features of joining Harvard Health Online »