Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Do you have pain in the mid- or upper-right portion of your
- Do fatty meals worsen the pain?
- Does the pain occur several hours after eating?
- Do you have nausea, vomiting, or bloating?
- Does the pain ever go through to your back?
- Is the pain steady or intermittent?
- Have you had fevers?
- How long does it take for the pain to go away?
- Do you take any medications (for example, birth-control pills
or hormone replacement therapy)?
- Have you had any rapid weight loss?
- Are you of Native American descent?
- Have you noticed darkening of your urine or yellowing of the
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Careful abdominal exam and rectal exam
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Blood tests of liver function
- Complete blood count
ultrasound (see p. 140 and 760)
- ERCP, or endoscopic
retrograde cholangiopancretography (see p.761)