Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), or
Questions to Discuss With Your Doctor:
- Over the past month, how often have you had a sensation of
not emptying your bladder completely after you finished urinating?
- Over the past month, how often have you had to urinate again
less than two hours after you finished urinating?
- Over the past month, how often have you found you stopped and
started again several times when you urinated?
- Over the past month, how often have you found it difficult to
- Over the past month, how often have you had a weak urinary stream?
- Over the past month, how often have you had to push or strain
to begin urination?
- Over the past month, how many times did you most typically get
up to urinate from the time you went to bed at night until the
time you got up in the morning?
- If you were to spend the rest of your life with your urinary
condition just the way it is now, how would you feel about that?
- Have you had blood in your urine, or urinary tract infections?
- Have you ever had surgery on your prostate, bladder, or kidneys?
- Do you have gastrointestinal problems such as diverticulitis
- Do you have diabetes?
- Does anyone in your family have diabetes?
- Have you been unusually thirsty or had unintentional weight
- Do you have Parkinson's disease or multiple sclerosis?
- Have you ever had a stroke?
- Have you ever had a back injury or back surgery?
- What medications are you taking (prescription and over-the-counter)?
- What do you know about medical and surgical treatment options
used in the treatment of benign prostatic enlargement?
- Do you know the side effects that can occur with medications?
- Do you know the complications associated with surgery?
- Do you know how much benefit you can expect from each type of
- Do you know the risks of waiting, and doing nothing at all?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Abdominal examination
- Neurological examination
- Digital rectal examination (see p. 1103)
- Genital examination
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Test or Studies: