Questions to Discuss with Your Doctor:
- Do you have abdominal pain or cramping?
- Do you have diarrhea, fevers, fatigue, rectal pain, or bloody stools?
- Have you recently lost weight?
- Is there a family history of inflammatory bowel disease?
- How many times a year do you get pain flare-ups?
- Do you have episodes of joint pain or swelling?
- Are you taking any medications?
Your Doctor Might Examine the Following Body Structures or Functions:
- Temperature, blood pressure, pulse
- Careful abdominal exam
- Rectal exam
Your Doctor Might Order the Following Lab Tests or Studies:
- Sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy
- Stool sample to look for the presence of blood, white blood cells, and to culture
- Complete blood count and other blood tests
- Barium enema with small bowel follow-through