Harvard Women's Health Watch

The best solutions for your hearing problem

Image: Thinkstock

Don't live in silence, when a hearing aid can restore the sounds you're missing.

Getting older comes with several new challenges. Sight isn't as clear as it used to be. Joints don't move as effortlessly, or as painlessly, as they once did. And hearing everything from conversations to concerts can become more difficult. By age 65, one in three of us will have more trouble hearing the sounds around us. By age 75, that percentage will jump to nearly half.

While we'll wear glasses to read the newspaper and take NSAIDs to ease our joint pain, many of us are reluctant to wear the hearing aids that can tune us in to the sounds we're missing. Only 25% of people who need hearing aids actually own them, which means the other 75% could be working too hard to hear, and missing out on much of the world around them as a result.

To continue reading this article, you must login.
  • Research health conditions
  • Check your symptoms
  • Prepare for a doctor's visit or test
  • Find the best treatments and procedures for you
  • Explore options for better nutrition and exercise
Learn more about the many benefits and features of joining Harvard Health Online »